Assignment: States Of Consciousness
Direction listed on the attachment, Please do not place bid until you have fully read the instruction in the attachment, Thank you!
For this post, evaluate, discuss, and compare information about the effect of culture on perception, including altered states of consciousness. This is an “Individual Only” discussion response, therefore there is no small group discussion for this assignment. The small group discussions are assigned in Week 8. Follow the steps below to complete the assignment:
1. Make sure to read the instructions provided in the module under Week 4 Assignment details and repeated again in the assignment area here. Assignment: States Of Consciousness
2. Under the “Altered States of Consciousness and Culture” discussion topic, click the “Reply” button in gray to start your response.
Watch the classic movie “The Exorcist” (available for free at the UCF Library) (Please note: there are other free options of the movie available streaming online; however students concerned about internet security may also purchase rentals through Google Play, Itunes and Amazon for $2.99)
After watching the movie, make sure to read Chapter 4 and discuss the following:
In your response you must address all of the criteria below:
1.Altered States of Consciousness Experienced & Defined: (this criterion should take approximately 1-2 paragraphs to fully address)
a. Chapter 4 discusses different types of altered states of consciousness (ASC), briefly discuss whether or not you have experienced any of the ASCs discussed in the chapter. If so, which kind? Be sure to clearly define terms.
b. Here students should clearly define and discuss altered states of consciousness (ASC). This discussion includes, what an ASC is, and what types of ASC they have experience. Overall, students should clearly define an ASC, they should provide examples of ASC they have experienced and define those examples. If they have not experienced an ASC their discussion may focus on the definition of ASC and connections as to why they may not have experienced one before.
2. Psychologically Relevant ASC: (this criterion should take approximately 1-2 paragraphs to fully address)
a. Which ASC appears to be most psychologically useful? Why?
b. Here students need to discuss which ASCs may be more useful or psychologically helpful. This discussion must identify a specific ASC or ASCs and make a clear argument for why it would be psychologically beneficial or helpful. Students should be able to connect this with the textbook discussion of the various ASCs
3. Identify Altered State in Movie: (this criterion should take approximately 1 paragraph to fully address)
a. In the movie The Exorcist, what kind of altered states of consciousness can we recognize in the main character of the movie?
b. Be specific when identifying the ASC. Make sure to use the proper terms as discussed in Shiraev & Levy (2017). A full credit response will provide the correct term, definition and examples.
4. Altered State Development in Movie: (this criterion should take approximately 1-2 paragraphs to fully address)
a. Briefly define and discuss how the state(s) of consciousness developed.
b. Be sure to clearly link definitions and discussion to ideas/concepts discussed in the text. Provide examples and descriptions from the movie where appropriate to support your response.
5. Spirit Negotiation in Movie: (this criterion should take approximately 1-2 paragraphs to fully address)
a. There is a tradition found in many tribes around the world, such as in the Mission Indians in California to assign special duties of communicating with the spirit world to a medicine man (Caprio, 1943).
b. In the movie, who was given the duty to negotiate and eventually expel the spirit from the girl’s body? Describe what was specifically done?
6. Summary of Diagnoses/Culture Identification: (this criterion should take approximately 1-2 paragraphs to fully address)
a. Summarize the diagnoses given to the girl by various doctors. Based upon the character’s symptoms which of these diagnoses seems to fit best? Why?
b. What other cultures were mentioned or can be seen in the movie? If the character had been a member of a non-Western culture how do you think her family, friends and others exposed to her would have reacted? The same or different? If different, how so?
7. Opinion on theme of Possession in Entertainment: (this criterion should take approximately 1 paragraph to fully address)
a. Briefly try to provide an opinion of why the theme of possession is still popular among educated people.
8. Textbook/Research Connection: (should be used throughout response to support, define, and explain concepts)
a. Clearly identify and link concepts/ideas or theory presented in the textbook to support your response to the questions above.
1. APA style in-text citation and reference is required. Students may not use websites, of any kind, as a primary source in their responses. Submissions which do not contain both APA style in-text citation and reference and/or which use websites of any kind as a primary source may receive a zero.
2. Discussion formatting must be:
1. Use of APA style in-text citations and reference is required.
1. Do NOT use bullets, numbering, headings etc.
2. Essay format required.
3. Submissions which do not contain both APA style in-text citation and reference and/or which use websites of any kind as a primary source may receive a zero.
2. Responses which do not meet the content and formatting requirements listed above will receive point deductions.
2. As stated in the syllabus and Obojobo modules on Avoiding Plagiarism, responses which do not contain BOTH in-text citation and references will be flagged for plagiarism and receive a zero.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more