For this assignment:
- First, list the current nine members of the United States Supreme Court.
- Second, choose one of the five cases below. Summarize (in your own words):
- The key points in the case and explain the law being challenged
- The part or amendment to the Constitution discussed in the case
- And, the states or local governments, if any, that were mentioned in the case.
- Third, explain the final ruling in the case by the Supreme Court and, most importantly, how the ruling in the case impacts the lives of Americans. You may need to look for an additional news article if you are unsure.
Be sure to include the links to any news articles or websites you visit by copying and pasting the link at the end of your assignment.
As with all weekly written assignments, submit your work as an attached file. Double-space your paper and use 12 point Times New Roman as your font.
The following are some links you might find useful:
- The Affordable Care Act cases (“Obamacare”): http://www.oyez.org/cases/2010-2019/2011/2011_11_400
- District of Columbia v. Heller (gun rights): http://www.oyez.org/cases/2000-2009/2007/2007_07_290
- Roe v. Wade (abortion rights): http://www.oyez.org/cases/1970-1979/1971/1971_70_18
- Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission (campaign finance laws): http://www.oyez.org/cases/2000-2009/2008/2008_08_205
- United States v. Windsor (same sex marriage): http://www.oyez.org/cases/2010-2019/2012/2012_12_307