This week, you examined the many potential issues and changes that can affect the health care system. Based on the knowledge you have gained throughout this course, consider what you think to be the most important or pertinent health care policy issue affecting the health care industry today. How might this issue improve health care costs? How might it transform the way health care is delivered? How might it change the way people access health care in the future? Think of an issue that has both current and future implications.
For example, in your Learning Resources this week, you read an article in Modern Healthcare, which outlines plans the CMS Innovation Center has for testing a next generation Accountable Care Organizations (ACO) model in 2016. In this model, “patients will be able to voluntarily enroll in accountable care and in exchange, have their co-pays reduced or eliminated for some services, such as primary-care visits” (Evans, 2015). This articles offers a good example of current trends affecting relevant health care issues such as cost and access to care.
Based on insights you have gained throughout this course and the Learning Resources from this week, explain what you think is the most pertinent health care policy issue with the potential to transform the way health care is delivered. Make sure to include in your post the following:
- Outline the policy in question with a brief history and background of the issue it addresses or does not address well.
- Next, discuss the Stakeholders involved in this issue and the effects passing the policy (or changing/defeating the policy) may have on their outcomes and interests.
- Outline the barriers to passing (or defeating) this policy and posit solutions as to how to overcome these barriers. These barriers may include insurance coverage, eligibility, or reimbursement.
- Provide a rationale for implementation of a policy brief from a legal, ethical, and operational perspective. Be specific and provide examples.
- Lastly, make recommendations (i.e., changes in policy, changes in delivery of care, changes in focus for legislation, changes in insurance coverages or reimbursement) for current and future practice.
Support your response by identifying and explaining key points and/or examples presented in the Learning Resources.