Assignment for United States of Distraction by Mickey Huff and Nolan Higdon
Your paper must focus on the following prompt:
According to the author, how has the American public become vulnerable?
In the first paragraph, your paper must state the authors’ main argument in bold type. You must also outline their supporting ideas as evidence to their main argument in the first paragraph.
Include the title of the book and the authors’ names in the first paragraph.
In the body of your paper, discuss 5 topics which support the authors’ main argument.
Suggested topics include:
– The importance of commercial free zones.
– The significance of the Communications Act of 1934. (Links to an external site.)
– The impact of the Fairness Doctrine of 1949. (Links to an external site.)
– The impact of conservative faculty and pro-business content in schools.
– The impact of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 (Links to an external site.).
– The post-truth era?
Cite at least 3 different sources in your paper, including at minimum, 5 quotes with 5 footnotes. Use our textbook, Eric Foner’s Give Me Liberty!: An American History as one of your sources. Do not use Wikipedia as a source in this term paper.
– Need a reminder on how to evaluate sources? Click on Dr. Susan Maret’s checklist. (Links to an external site.)
– Also helpful for evaluating sources are the following videos, Evaluating Sources for Credibility (Links to an external site.) and Detecting Bias.
You must use Chicago Style formatting for your footnotes and bibliography. Click the following link for Chicago Style formatting and paraphrasing: How to Write a Chicago Style Footnote and Bibliography entry.
Paraphrases must be footnoted.
For guidance through the research process, click the following to Research Toolbox. (Links to an external site.)
Your concluding paragraph must be a brief recap of the authors’ main argument and supporting ideas. Do not introduce new information in the concluding paragraph.
Your paper must be typed, double-spaced, using a 12-point font, and be a minimum of 5 pages in length.