Write a short (50-100-word) paragraph response for each question. This assignment is to be submitted as a Microsoft Word document and it must contain references.
- Define negotiation as it applies to patient education.
- Explain how the change in the patient’s status through the years has affected patient education.
- List the pros and cons of negotiation.
- Describe the general conditions that would be included in a patient contract.
- Discuss old age and the baby boomer.
- List several generational, religious, and cultural differences between the 30-year-old health care professional and the elderly patient.
- Explain some of the barriers to patient education of the elderly and discuss their special needs.
- List ways to best approach patient education of the elderly.
- Discuss some cultural and religious beliefs about death that you have encountered.
- Explain why it is important to discuss death and dying with the elderly patient and what the impact is on all involved.
- Explain how to teach a patient with a life-threatening illness.
You must proofread your paper. But do not strictly rely on your computer’s spell-checker and grammar-checker; failure to do so indicates a lack of effort on your part and you can expect your grade to suffer accordingly. Papers with numerous misspelled words and grammatical mistakes will be penalized. Read over your paper – in silence and then aloud – before handing it in and make corrections as necessary. Often it is advantageous to have a friend proofread your paper for obvious errors. Handwritten corrections are preferable to uncorrected mistakes.
Use a standard 10 to 12 point (10 to 12 characters per inch) typeface. Smaller or compressed type and papers with small margins or single-spacing are hard to read. It is better to let your essay run over the recommended number of pages than to try to compress it into fewer pages.
Likewise, large type, large margins, large indentations, triple-spacing, increased leading (space between lines), increased kerning (space between letters), and any other such attempts at “padding” to increase the length of a paper are unacceptable, wasteful of trees, and will not fool your professor.
The paper must be neatly formatted, double-spaced with a one-inch margin on the top, bottom, and sides of each page. When submitting hard copy, be sure to use white paper and print out using dark ink. If it is hard to read your essay, it will also be hard to follow your argument.